I regularly consult with filmmakers about their projects. I have doing so for over 20 years. I’ve worked with many filmmakers on a wide variety of projects such as a six part history of documentary film, a ten part history of American cinema, a biography of Les Blank, a follow-up to the events at Wounded Knee, a portrait of music in Cuba, and many others.
I am available to:
- Assist in developing a thematic approach for a particular subject
- Help conceptualize a particular filmmaking strategy or cinematic voice to fit a specific topic and perspective
- Advise on or draft grant proposals
- Consult on ethical issues that may arise
- Help fine tune pitches
- Revise and polish scripts
- Provide feedback on rough cuts
- Offered workshops on “Proposals and Pitches” for the San Francisco Film Society
- Advised on how to work with humanities scholars on documentary film projects at Cal Humanities
- Regularly guided MFA candidates in the preparation of their MFA Thesis Film Proposal, a semester long process requiring extended revision and feedback that culminates in a formal presentation to a jury of three faculty members.
- Conducted a salon on social issue documentaries during the San Francisco International Film Festival (2011)
- Served as Senior Advisor on the creation of “Honest Truths: Documentary Filmmakers on Ethical Challenges in Their Work,” published online by the Center for Social Media, 2009
See the Contact page for how to contact me.